Larksuite as Email provider with Custom Domain
Some benefits of Lark:
- Free for 50 accounts
- Free collaboration software
- Free audio transcription with Lark Minutes
- 200GB shared Email storage
- 100GB shared storage, single file less than 250MB
- Unlimited custom Email domain!
- Email migration tool available
- Supports IMAP IDLE for JIT push
But not without limitations:
- ByteDance is a Chinese company that owns TikTok - bad track record for privacy and security
- No native catch-all Email <-- fixing in this post
- Mandatory App Password for IMAP, can be only generated from within client rather than web
Plus some gotchas:
- IMAP(aka Third Party Email Client) disabled by default - has to be enabled by admin
- DKIM disabled by default
- Auto Forwarding disabled by default
Adding Catch-All for Larksuite with MXGuardDog
MXGuardDog is an external anti-spam service that replaces your MX server who conducts filtering and only lets filtered emails pass through with a catch-all functionality, making it possible to add catch-all to Larksuite. Although MXGuardDog is not free, you can generate enough credits from their affiliate program webpage to cover the cost.
This guide assumes you have:
- Successfully added your domain to Larksuite and it shows a "Enabled" state
- Control over your DNS records
- Register an account with MXGuardDog using your email address and domain.
- Adjust the UI language at mxguarddog.com/dc.preferences/tab=1, time zone at mxguarddog.com/dc.preferences/tab=2, and aggression level at mxguarddog.com/dc.preferences/tab=3.
- Add all named email addresses at mxguarddog.com/dc.listemail. Each named address costs 1 credit per month. Enable catch-all and set up the target mailbox - unnamed addresses will NOT consume any credits.
- Add Larksuite's MX servers at mxguarddog.com/dc.mxservers:
mx2.larksuite.com. Send a test email to verify connectivity.
- Set the MX records according to mxguarddog.com/dc.mxservers/tab=2. Refresh the page to verify.
- Create some web pages for mxguarddog.com/dc.creditsearn and include links. Note they can be from DIFFERENT domains. One link on a partner site's root domain can earn 30 credits per month for 30 named addresses.
- Send some test emails to random mailboxes on your domain from other providers. You should see them appear in Lark with
[catch-all]in the title. Adjust any auto rules as needed, like moving messages to a specific folder.